The African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI) is looking for a postdoctoral fellow to identify research gaps as well as policy gaps, in the South African and African context using science literature, national and international policies and guidelines, and grey literature. The literature review will be complemented by telephonic and in-person interviews with key researchers, to map the research expertise at UCT, and in South Africa to identify important stakeholders for future engagement.
The Fellow will be supported by an advisory committee of senior researchers working in aligned thematic areas. Outputs of this research will include:
- Literature review paper submitted to an academic journal;
- Written report and presentation of findings to the advisory committee;
- Presentation of key research and policy gaps at the Adaptation Futures 2018 conference.
- A PhD, awarded within the previous five years, related to the topic of ecosystem services, climate change adaptation (specifically ecosystem based adaptation/natural capital/ ecological infrastructure) or integrated natural resources management.
- Demonstrated ability to produce peer-reviewed research articles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Desire to work in an interdisciplinary research setting.
- Interest and experience in strategy development.
- Interest and experience in stakeholder engagement.
- Good understanding of key experts in the field of EbA.
- Applicants must have completed their doctoral degrees within the past 5 years and may not previously have held a full-time permanent professional or academic post.
- No benefits or allowances are included in the Fellowship, but the fellowship stipend is tax free.
- The successful applicant will be required to register as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Cape Town immediately and will not be considered a UCT employee.
- The successful applicant will be required to comply with the university’s approved policies, procedures and practices for the postdoctoral sector.
- The fellowship is tied to the deliverables mentioned above.
Value and tenure:
- The value of the fellowship is ZAR 60 000 for 3 months.
Applicants should submit (i) an application letter that includes a short description of their expertise and research interests, and how these relate to the position, (ii) a CV including a publication list, (iii) copies of academic transcripts and/or certificates, and (iv) email addresses of at least two references who been directly involved in their PhD and/or previous postdoctoral research.
Applications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 January 2018.