Internship: Emerging Professional for Climate Change
This internship position has opened at the Association for Water and Rural Development (AWARD), an NGO based in Hoedspruit, Limpopo Province. This position will form part of the AWARD team within the USAID RESILIM-Olifants program, the purpose being to reduce vulnerability through building improved transboundary governance and management of the Olifants Catchment so as to enhance the resilience of its people and ecosystems through systemic and social learning approaches. This post aims to support the restoration and sustainable management of priority ecosystems in the Olifants Catchment.
Job Purpose: To support the Key Result Area 4 team to implement project activities that aim at reducing vulnerability to climate change and other factors by supporting collective action, informed adaptation strategies and practices and tenable institutional arrangements.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
– Support planning for stakeholder engagements relating to Climate Change dialogues and Integrating Climate Change into Disaster Risk Reduction;
– Take detailed notes during stakeholder engagements and other programme meetings;
– Organize all project related documents, which include notes, technical data, literature and photos;
– Prepare formal reports or documentation from the notes taken;
– Coordinate and/or provide logistic supports for meetings and workshops;
– Facilitate discussions around climate change impacts and adaptation actions for various sectors including water, biodiversity, disaster management and agriculture;
– Translate information, ranging from technical and scientific to generic content, between English and native languages such as Sepedi, Sotho and Tsonga;
– Conduct desk-top research relating to climate change impacts and adaptation options; and
– Conduct data analysis with guidance.
Qualifications, experience and key competencies:
– A Master-degree graduate in a trans-disciplinary program that provides training in ecological and biophysical subjects and social science research methods.
– Preferably a familiarity or experience with climate change adaptation.
– Prior related work experiences and multiple language skills will be an added advantage.
– Adaptable and versatile to fit the emerging needs of the project activities;
– Ability to think analytically and critically in gathering relevant information and applying the information to the context shaped by project activities;
– Ability to conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis and research;
– Comfort to facilitate small group and plenary discussion on climate change related topics;
– Active listening skill and ability to capture communication and observations rapidly in a word processing software such as Microsoft Word;
– Good communication and interpersonal skills (e.g. engaging with a wide-range of stakeholders and
collaborating in a team setting);
– Good report writing, presentation and communications skills;Attention to details and high level of
– Interest and experience in participatory approaches;
– Proven computer literacy and knowledge of office software packages (MS Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, MS Outlook);
– Teamwork and collaboration;
– Liaising with project partners;
– Fluency in English (read, write, understand);
– Interpersonal skills;
– Ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders and sectors;
– Organisational and project management skills;
– Task management skills;
– Willingness to travel and working irregular hours.
The successful applicant will receive a monthly stipend of R 6200.00 plus benefits (medical aid and shared accommodation) in Hoedspruit. In-house training as part of AWARD’s ‘Emerging Professionals’ programme will be provided. Additional funding support for conferences and workshop attendance is available (subject to application and motivation).
Length of contract and location of work:
1 year, fixed-schedule contract, effective 1st May 2017. The RESILIM-O project is implemented from AWARD’s offices in Hoedspruit, Limpopo. The appointee will be based in Hoedspruit, which is located in close proximity to the Kruger National Park.
Closing date: 21 April 2017
Candidates who meet the above requirements should forward their motivational letter, resume and recently certified copies of certificates, ID copy and driver’s license including at least three contactable references via email to the attention of Office Manager:
E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: please include the following for your referees: a reachable mobile or telephone number and a working or valid email address.
AWARD is committed to fair recruitment and selection practices and shall not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, family responsibility, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, political opinion, culture, language and birth.
AWARD reserves the right to withdraw this advertisement at any time or choose not to fill this position or to employ from within the organization