Deputy Director, African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI), University of Cape Town (UCT)
(Associate Professor or Professor level, 5 year contract)
Application information: https://www.uct.ac.za/about/intro/vacancies/external
Closing date 28 Feb 2017
ACDI information: http://www.acdi.uct.ac.za
UCT information: http://www.uct.ac.za
Informal enquiries: ACDI Director, Prof Mark New, firstname.lastname@example.org
The African Climate and Development Initiative (ACDI) was established in 2011 at the University of Cape Town as a cross-faculty research, training and outreach initiative, working at the intersection of climate change and development. The ACDI is hosted by the Faculty of Science, but is interdisciplinary in its scope, drawing expertise on climate and development issues from across and beyond the university. The mission of the ACDI is to “facilitate and substantially extend climate research and education at UCT, within the specific context of addressing the development challenges of Africa from an African perspective”.
ACDI is a dynamic and innovative initiative, and we wish to appoint a Deputy Director to help steer the organization over its second five-year term. We therefore invite applications for a 5-year contract position at Full or Associate Professor level, for appointment no later than 1 July 2017. The successful candidate should be an accomplished researcher/analyst and experienced manager in an academic and/or applied research environment. The main purpose of this position is to assist the Director in the overall management of ACDI to ensure that the organization can fulfil its academic mission, particularly through representing ACDI within the University and in engagements with partners, funders and potential funders. A secondary purpose is academic leadership in at least one of the priority research areas of the ACDI.
– Assist the Director in the strategic management of ACDI
– Maintain and strengthen relationships with centres and departments that are part of the ACDI
– Oversee the day-to-day management of ACDI, and its four portfolio managers
– Provide leadership and input on a select number of projects and programmes
– Oversee staff development and mentoring
– Represent ACDI within the University and externally at meetings and events.
– Maintain relationships with existing and new funders, and seek out new funding opportunities
– Conduct and publish academic research on a topic related to the ambit of the ACDI.
– Some teaching and post-graduate supervision on ACDI-related teaching programmes
Qualifications and Experience Required:
– A PhD in a field relevant to ACDI’s focus at the intersection of climate change and development
– A strong publication record in one or more fields that are relevant to ACDI’s research and training ambit
– Typically, ten years’ experience in an academic and/or applied research environment
– Significant management and/or coordination experience
For more information, please download the advert here.